Friday 29 August 2014

Our Birds

We have been feeding the birds for many years, but due to our planned travels this year, we didn’t want them to become feeder dependent then quit feeding them.  As it turned out, the travel plans got cancelled so we decided to begin feeding them again.  I’ve always been in awe of the variety of birds visiting Betsy’s feeders (Joyful Reflections), so I ask her to send me some shots of her feeding area then we had a couple of conversations about the details.

Before getting into the songbirds, I’d like to tell you about our Hummers – I believe Bev has four feeders for them and one is on the bedroom deck and visible from the living room.  This is the window we look through with the feeder on the left side of the middle window and it’s fun to watch them fly right up to the window if they arrive in spring to no feeder or if it runs out of food, as it did last week.


During a recent visit from Betsy and George, they gave me some instruction on how they set their cameras for various shots and I shot these from inside the bedroom using my long lens, a tripod, and the Av camera setting (5.6) which provide a 1/320 shutter speed.  They definitely turned out better than my normal shots.




Now for the songbirds feeding station, which we’ve located in the new landscaping next to the patio and visible from the kitchen window.  The area contains one of the hummer feeders, a birdbath and four hanging feeders – two with sunflower seeds, one with thistle, one with meal worms, and two suet feeders.


After this shot, I moved the meal worm and thistle feeders to various places around the yard as I need to slowly lure the bluebirds and gold finches around to where the new feeders are located.

Thanks Betsy and George for the camera and feeding advice.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/25/14 event date

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home